Monday, April 25, 2011

Auspicious Day

I knew it was an auspicious day when I caught a glimpse of a Great Blue Heron while passengerizing along Hwy 280, California's autobahn. Since this was roadside viewing at 80mph, I don't have a photo. But I do have this photo, taken just an hour later in Golden Gate Park:

Night Heron
Stow Lake, Golden Gate Park

Some time later the same afternoon, I was treated with not one (shown here), but  several bison were ranging and visible in their "habitat" at Golden Gate Park. I think they have a back pasture, where they can be out of sight of people. I like to check in on them, but rarely get to see several at the same time. A powerful beast. Nice.


A little while later that same day, I spotted a second Great Blue, posing in the grasses at the ruins of Sutro Baths.

 Besides the critters pictured here, I also saw sandpipers at the Half Moon Bay Taco Bell-by-the-Sea, and red-tailed hawks near Woodside. 

 Canada Geese Goslings & Parents
Stow Lake, Golden Gate Park



This is a special raft was tethered to the shore, apparently a duckling feeder!

Also at Stow Lake, this is just one of several ducklings -- they were Much smaller than the goslings and did a much better job of staying hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment